Are you craving for scones but don’t have butter in your fridge? Or maybe you just don’t like butter, don’t worry because I have you covered with this buttermilk scones with oil recipe.
Your scones will still taste great or even better than those with butter. If you start to make scones using this oil recipe, trust me , you will not stop making them. They are just nice, soft , fluffy and melt in your mouth. Ummm delicious.
These buttermilk scones with oil are easy to make and they don’t take time but the end result is amazing. You don’t need any fancy equipment but just a bowl, whisky or a fork and you are good to go.
If you don’t have a scone cutter don’t worry, you can just use a tumbler or a water glass . You can cut them into shapes and sizes you want. The other advantage of this recipe is the scones stay moist longer than those made of butter.
Ingredients for buttermilk scones with oil
4 cups cake flour
I cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon lemon essence
100mls vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
31/2 teaspoons baking powder
Method to make Buttermilk Scones
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. In a bowl whisk eggs then add milk, essence, oil and whisk everything well.
2. Add sugar, salt and mix.
3. Add sifted flour and baking powder. Mix using your hands until it forms a dough.
4. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll out using your hands.
5. Cut the dough and arrange them in a greased baking sheet.
6. Put your dough together again and cut your scones. Repeat the process until the dough is finished.
7. Brush the top with milk or beaten egg and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
8. Serve immediately with jam, whipped cream or any filling of your choice or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
-if you don’t have buttermilk just make your own by adding 1tablespoon vinegar or 2teaspoons of lemon juice to a cup of milk and allow to stand for 5mimutes.
-don’t knead your dough for too long because it will make your scones dry and hard.
I hope you are going to enjoy making these buttermilk scones with oil and enjoy eating them too.
Please share your experience with me after making them. Keep in touch for more simple and yummy recipes .