Pan fried sausage and cabbage is one of the easiest and quickest dishes to make for supper after a long day. It just takes 30minutes or less to make this dish. It is tasty, flavourful, low in carbs making it perfect for a Keto diet.
Pan fried sausage and cabbage is a one pan dinner. Who doesn’t like one pan dinner ideas? I like them because it means less dishes to wash after dinner. That is why this pan fried sausage and cabbage is one of my favourite recipes when I am feeling tired. I also like this recipe because it is cheap to make with ingredients I can easily get from any supermarket. As long as I have smoked sausages and cabbage in my kitchen I know I can make this dish. Since most sausages already have spices in them, I don’t really have to add more spices to this dish except salt and pepper. The spices in the sausage makes this dish flavourful.
I know most people don’t like cooked cabbage, they prefer uncooked especially in coleslaw salad but it’s because you have never tried cooking it this way. Pairing cabbage and sausage and fry them together is the best way to enjoy cabbage. Cabbage will absorb all the flavours in the cabbage making it so tasty. If you like your cabbage crunchy, reduce the cooking time and if you like it soft, cook it for longer.
Pan fried cabbage and sausage is a complete meal on its own. It is high in fat,low in carbs and high in fibre there by keeping you fuller for longer. If you want, you can serve it with cauliflower rice or any dish you like. Pan fried cabbage and sausage is easy to reheat, you can just fry it in the pan or warm it in the microwave.
Other complete meals on one go to try:
Cabbage is packed with nutrients like Vitamin C, K and A. Fibre, folate, magnesium and potassium are other nutrients found in cabbages. Cabbage helps in weight loss as it is low in carbs and has high water content. Both green or red cabbage can be used in this recipe.
Any type of smoked sausage can be used in this recipe. For a mild and garlic flavour go for mild flavoured smoked sausage like kielbasa also known as Russian and for a spicy flavour go for spiced smoked sausage like andouille. I like to use smoked sausage in this recipe because it is already cooked so it takes a very short time to cook again or to reheat.
Other ingredients needed to add flavour to pan fried Cabbage and Sausage are;
• olive oil
• black pepper
How to make pan fried cabbage and sausage?
Start by heating oil in a pan. While oil is heating, cut sausage and add to the pan. Fry until brown and crisp on the edges. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan fry onions until they start to shiver, add garlic, salt and pepper and fry until onions are soft. Add cabbage and fry occasionally until you reach your desired tenderness. Add vinegar and sausage and stir until the sausage is hot. Remove from the heat and serve.
What to consider when making keto pan fried cabbage and sausage?
1. I encourage you to use a non-stick pan or skillet so that the sausage doesn’t stick to the pan.
2. You can add the sausage after frying the cabbage without frying them first because they are already cooked. I like to fry them first because I like them crispy.
-You can also fry the sausage first before cutting them.
3. The cooking time depends on how tender you want the cabbage to be. For crunchy cabbage it takes 5-7 minutes and for soft cabbage it takes 10-12minutes.
4. If you don’t like onions, you can leave them.
5. You can serve the Cabbage and the sausages side by side if you don’t want to mix the two.
Ingredients For Easy Keto Pan fried Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
225g smoked sausage
2 cups chopped cabbage
¼ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ tablespoon vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Method For Easy Keto Pan fried Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
1.Heat oil in a pan or skillet. Add chopped sausage and fry until brown and crisp. Remove sausage from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, fry onions until they start to shiver, add garlic, salt and pepper and stir well until onions are tender
3. Add cabbage and stir occasionally until you reach your desired tenderness.
4. Add vinegar and sausage and stir until sausage is hot, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from heat and serve.