Potato salad is a popular salad especially in summer when you are having barbecue aka braai and picnics. Potatoes are high in starch therefore not keto or any low carb diet friendly but does this mean we should not enjoy barbecue and picnics with others, definitely not. We can still enjoy our barbecue by replacing potato salad with cauliflower salad. Cauliflower is low in carbs and can easily be used in low carbs diet in place of potatoes, rice and pasta. A cup of potatoe salad has about 25g of net carbs but this keto cauliflower salad has just 3g. Cauliflower salad is the traditional potato salad made healthier and low carb.
Cauliflower salad is easy and quick to make. Just like potato salad you can add other ingredients of your choice for different flavours. These ingredients include bacon, onion, pickles,dill,etc. Cauliflower salad can be eaten on its own or served as a salad at barbecues or with keto pork chops or keto ginger steak
I like to make my keto cauliflower salad with simple and few ingredients but without compromising the taste. This salad is creamy and delicious especially when I leave it to chill in the fridge for more than 1 hour. Chilling the salad has the flavours to develop and improve the taste.
These are the ingredients I use for my keto cauliflower salad
• cauliflower – is low in carbs and a great substitute for Potatoes in this recipe.
• boiled eggs – adds flavour and protein to the dish.
• Mayonnaise– dressing the salad making it creamy. I like to use my homemade Mayonnaise because it is low carb but store bought can be used.
• celery – adds flavour and a crunch texture to the salad.
• onion – adds flavour. White or red onion can be used.
• apple cider – low carb and adds flavour
• salt, black pepper, paprika – adds flavour
Cauliflower salad is easy to prepare and this is how I do it.
Cauliflower salad is easy to make and this is how I do it;
start by cutting the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces and then steam the cauliflower until tender. I don’t want to steam it until very soft because it will end up being mashy. Alternatively a microwave can be used or boil on a stove top. Remember to drain water and Pat dry before use. Chop the boiled eggs, onion and celery and set aside. In a bowl whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider, salt, pepper and paprika. Add cauliflower, eggs, onion and celery to the dressing and mix until combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Other salad or cauliflower recipes to try;
Who said you should not eat bread while on keto diet? Get this keto bread book for Keto bread recipes
Ingredients for Keto Cauliflower’Mock Potato’Salad Recipe
1 head cauliflower
4 hard boiled eggs
2 stalks celery
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Method For Keto Cauliflower ‘Mock Potato’ Recipe
1.Cut cauliflower into small bite size pieces, the smaller the better.
2. Boil water with salt and add cauliflower. Allow to cook until tender for about 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well and Pat dry to remove excess moisture and set aside.
3. Chop celery, eggs and onion and set aside.
4. In a bowl whisk Mayonnaise, apple cider, salt, pepper and paprika. Add the cauliflower, eggs, celery and onion.
5. Mix everything together until well combined and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
• Store bought cauliflower florets can be used for this recipe.
• Cook cauliflower before use to obtain the same texture as that of potatoes as this is a mock potato salad.
• Instead of boiling, a microwave or steamer can be used.
• Fresh cauliflower is best for this recipe.