Cheesy, crispy, keto and low carb Cauliflower fritters which are a great substitute for potato fritters. Cauliflower fritters are easy to make with just a few ingredients. Cauliflower fritters can be served for breakfast, lunch or supper.
Cauliflower is a must have in my kitchen. I can easily substitute potatoes and pasta with Cauliflower to make low carb and keto recipes. Almost any recipe which uses Potatoes I can make it using Cauliflower. On this blog I have already shared my cauliflower ‘mock potato’ salad and mashed Cauliflower. Today I am sharing Cauliflower fritters.
Cauliflower fritters are tender inside and crispy around the edges. I like my fritters and hashbrowns with Crispy edges just like my spaghetti squash hash browns. The secret to that is to squeeze out excess moisture because Cauliflower absorbs moisture when cooking. Removing excess moisture also helps the fritters to hold together and not fall apart.
Squeezing moisture is not rocket science, it is easy. I just put my Cauliflower in a kitchen towel, make a ball and twist to remove the moisture. A strainer can be used also, just put the Cauliflower in the strainer and use a spoon to push down the Cauliflower until all water is drained.
Another secret to obtain crispy edges is not to overcrowd the pan when frying. Leave space between the fritters so that they fry nicely without steaming on each other. I recommend using a non stick frying pan so that the fritters won’t stick when frying.
However other pans can be used but remember to add more oil to the pan before frying to prevent the fritters from sticking to the pan and falling apart.
What are the ingredients needed for Cauliflower fritters?
This Cauliflower fritters recipe calls for 4 ingredients. Different herbs and spices can be added to these 4 ingredients to suit your favourite flavours. I like mine simple so I just added green onions and black pepper.
However chives, parsley, cilantro, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, etc can be added.
The four ingredients I used are;
• Cauliflower – low carb and keto friendly. I like to use fresh Cauliflower but frozen also works.
• almond flour – helps in binding. Low carb substitute for plain flour.
• Cheese – helps to bind and adds flavour
• eggs – helps to bind the mixture together.
How to make Cauliflower fritters
Start by cutting the Cauliflower head into florets. A knife or a food processor can be used.
Add to a pot of boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and leave to slightly cool. Squeeze out moisture and put in a bowl.
Add almond flour, eggs, cheese, salt , pepper and green onions. Mix everything together.
Use a ¼ cup to spoon the mixture and put in a hot pan and flatten with a spatula. Remember not to overcrowd the pan.
Cook for 3-5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Flip to cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
Repeat the process until the mixture is finished. Serve and garnish as desired.
How to store leftover Cauliflower fritters?
Leftover Cauliflower fritters can be kept in the fridge, in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Reheat them in a pan before serving.
Other Cauliflower or cheese recipes to try;
Ingredients For Cauliflower fritters (Keto and low carb)
½ Cauliflower head or 2 cups Cauliflower florets.
¼ cup almond flour
⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped spring onion
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter or oil for frying
Method For Cauliflower fritters (Keto and Low Carb)
1.Cut the Cauliflower head into florets. Store bought Cauliflower rice can be used.
2. Add to a pot of boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain and allow to slightly cool. Squeeze out excess moisture.
4. Put the squeezed Cauliflower in a bowl. Add flour, eggs, cheese, onions, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
5. Heat a pan and add butter. Using a ¼ cup scoop the mixture and add to the frying pan, flatten with a spatula. Add about 4 fritters at a time depending on how big the pan is.
6. Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crispy, flip to cook the other side.
7. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Cook in batches until all the mixture is finished.
8. Serve and garnish as desired.
• Crumbled bacon can be added to these Cauliflower fritters.
• Drain excess moisture from the cauliflower
• Remember not to overcrowd the pan when frying.