Mashed turnips are a low carb version of mashed potatoes. Mashed turnips are creamy, delicious and easy to make. If you like low carb mash you can also try my mashed Cauliflower Recipe.
Turnips and potatoes are both root vegetables and can be cooked using different methods. They are easy to add flavour with herbs and spices. Any recipe you can make with potatoes you can also create a lower carb version with turnips.
Whenever I have turnips in the house I like to make mashed turnips or crispy baked turnip fries. These recipes taste so good that I even forget I am eating turnips. I also like that they are lactose and gluten free.
When you are choosing turnips especially for mashed turnips I recommend to choose small turnips. Small turnips have mild taste like Potatoes or cabbage while big turnips are bitter. The bigger the turnip, the bitter it becomes. If you have bigger turnips I encourage you to use them in stews and soups.
If you have followed my recipes maybe by now you have noticed I don’t like a lot of spices, I like to keep my dishes simple but tasty with natural flavours. When I make mashed turnip I only add salt and pepper.
However, you can add garlic, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, etc to this dish.
Mashed turnips are easy to make with just few ingredients which are;
Turnips – low carb version of potatoes packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre.
Onion – white or red onion can be used. If you don’t like onion you can leave it.
Coconut milk – low carb and lactose free. Milk helps to make creamy mash.
If you are not on keto diet, dairy milk can be used.
Salt and pepper – balances the flavours.
Water – to cook turnips until tender
Spring Onion(optional) – garnish. Parsley or chives can also be used.
• Butter, cheese, sourcream, crumbled bacon can also be added when making mashed turnips.
How to make low carb mashed Turnips?
Peel turnips with a peeler. Cut into cubes and put in a pot.
Chop onion and add to the pot with turnips. Add cold water and cover the pot.
Put the pot on a stove top and allow to simmer until turnips are soft and water is absorbed.
Add salt and mash with a potato masher, fork or wooden spoon.
Add pepper and milk, mix until combined. Close the pot and simmer until all the moisture is absorbed.
Serve and garnish with chopped spring onion.
• If you want your mash smooth, you can use a blender.
What can I serve mashed potatoes with?
I like to serve mashed turnips with;
Ingredients For low Carb Mashed Turnips
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon chopped spring onions
You can watch the full mashed turnips video here.
Method For low Carb Mashed Turnips
1. Peel turnips with a peeler and cut into cubes. Put the turnips in a pot.
2. Chop onion and add to the pot with turnips. Add water and cover.
3. Put the pot on a stove top and allow to simmer until turnips are tender and water is absorbed.
4. Add salt and mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher.
5. Add pepper and milk and mix until combined. Cover and allow to simmer until moisture is absorbed.
6. Serve and sprinkle chopped spring onion to garnish
Get keto recipe books for free Here
• For a smooth texture, use a blender.
• Dairy milk can be used if you are not on keto diet.
• Butter, sour cream, cheese, crumbled bacon, garlic, thyme can be added to mashed turnips.
If you want more turnip recipes subscribe to my YouTube channel.