I love salads because they are healthy, refreshing and easy to make. I have shared with you on this blog some of my favourite salads already and today I am sharing my keto broccoli salad.
Broccoli salad is made with fresh crunchy broccoli florets, crispy bacon, cubed cheddar cheese, creamy mayo, sugar free sweetner and more, it has all the flavours for it to become your favourite and best broccoli salad.
Just like my keto Cauliflower Mock Potato Salad and chicken salad, this keto broccoli salad can be enjoyed on its own or as a side dish to chicken, steak or chops. I like to serve my broccoli salad with keto pork chops or ginger steak.
Keto broccoli salad is easy to make and substitute ingredients you don’t have with what you have in your kitchen. There are a variety of ingredients which can be added to keto broccoli salad. These ingredients are nuts, seeds, cheese, herbs and spices. Remember to use ingredients which are low in carbs and sugar so I recommend you to stay away from dried fruit like raisins.
If you are confused of what else you can add to keto broccoli salad, here are the examples;
Colby jack cheese
Apple cider vinegar
Can I use fresh or frozen broccoli?
I like to use fresh broccoli as it gives a nice crunch texture to the salad. However if you don’t have fresh broccoli, you can use frozen but it won’t be as crunchy as fresh broccoli but it will still be delicious.
Should I use cooked or uncooked broccoli?
I prefer to cook my broccoli by blanching it. I like to blanch my broccoli over any cooking method because after blanching the broccoli will be a little tender but still crunchy, it won’t lose colour, flavour and texture. If you prefer uncooked broccoli, go on and use it but I recommend to chill the salad for a longer time to tenderise the broccoli.
How to blanch broccoli?
• Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat.
• Add broccoli florets to the boiling water and leave for 45-60seconds.
• Drain and immediately put the broccoli in iced water until completely cooled.
• Drain the broccoli and dry it completely before mixing it with other ingredients.
– Using ice water will immediately stop the cooking process.
How to make keto broccoli salad?
Broccoli – Fresh or frozen broccoli florets.If you are not a fan of broccoli, you can mix it with Cauliflower or cabbage. Feel free to use cooked or uncooked broccoli florets.
Bacon – adds fat, flavour and crunchiness to the salad.
Cheese – makes the salad creamy and adds flavour. I like to use cubed bites but grated can also be used. I also like to use cheddar but Pepper Jack or Colby jack cheese can be used.
Mayonnaise – makes the salad creamy. Remember to use sugar free mayonnaise. I like to use my keto homemade mayonnaise.
Lemon juice – acidic flavour which helps to balance the flavours. Apple cider vinegar can be used.
Onions – adds flavour. Red or white onion can be used.
Sweetener – sugar free sweeteners like swerve confectioners, xylitol, erythritol, Stevia or monk fruit can be used.
Pumpkin seeds – gives a crunchy texture to the salad and adds healthy fats. Other seeds or nuts can be used.
Salt and pepper – flavour
Steps for making keto broccoli salad
• Blanch and drain broccoli.
• Roast pumpkin seeds in the oven or stove stop for about 5 minutes or until nice and golden.
• Chop bacon into small pieces and fry until nice and Crispy.
• Chop onion and cheese into cubes.
• In a bowl add mayo, sweetener, lemon juice, salt, pepper and mix.
• To the dressing add broccoli, cheese and onion, mix everything until well combined.
• Chill the salad in the fridge. If the permits leave the salad to chill overnight to infuse the flavours.
• Just before serving, stir in bacon and pumpkin seeds.
-Bacon and pumpkin seeds are added just before serving so that they remain nice and crispy.
Can I keep leftover broccoli salad?
Yes broccoli salad can remain crispy in the fridge upto 3 days. After that it can start to be soft because the more broccoli sits in the dressing, the softer it becomes.
Other salad recipes to try;
Ingredients For Keto Broccoli Salad
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
4 slices of bacon
100g cheddar cheese chopped into small cubes
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds roasted
1 tablespoon onion chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon swerve confectioners
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
Method For Keto Broccoli Salad
1. Blanch broccoli florets, drain and set aside.
2. Roast pumpkin seeds and set aside.
3. Fry chopped bacon until nice and crispy. Drain and set aside.
4. In a bowl mix mayo, swerve confectioners, Lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5. To the dressing add drained broccoli, chopped onion and cheese. Mix everything until well combined.
6. Chill the salad in the fridge, it time permits overnight.
7. Just before serving, stir in bacon and pumpkin seeds. Serve and enjoy.
• Blanch broccoli by adding it to boiling salted water for 45-60seconds. Drain and immediately put in iced water.
• Cauliflower florets or cabbage can be added to broccoli salad.
• Low carb nuts, seeds, herbs and spices can be added to the salad.