In my kitchen I always make sure that I have turnips and Cauliflower because I can easily substitute potatoes, pasta and rice with them to create my low carb and keto friendly dishes. I have already shared on this blog my recipe for cauliflower fritters and today I am sharing my turnips fritters recipe.
I like fritters because they are easy and quick to make, delicious and I can eat them anytime of the day as a side or as a snack. I like to serve my turnip fritters with pork chops with chili sauce.
If you have turnips and eggs surely you can make turnip fritters. You can then add herbs and spices of your choice or what you have. Feel free to play around with different colours and flavours. You can also add almond flour and cheese to help binding the mixture together.
In this turnips fritters recipe I didn’t add flour or cheese because my fritters don’t fall apart even without those 2 ingredients. The secret for that is to squeeze excess moisture out of the grated turnips. I used my palm and fingers to squeeze out the water.
A kitchen towel or a strainer can be used also. When using a kitchen towel you need to put the grated turnips on the towel. Squeeze the water by twisting the towel into a ball until no water is coming out. When using a strainer just put the grated turnips in a strainer. Use the back of a spoon to push down the turnips until all the water is drained.
How to make turnip fritters?
Start by peeling turnips and grate them using a grater.
Squeeze out moisture and set aside. Break the egg into a bowl, add black pepper, paprika, rosemary, salt and mix.
Add turnips, onion, red pepper, spring onions and mix everything together until combined.
Heat butter in a pan and add spoonfuls of the turnip mixture. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
Allow to cook for a few minutes and flip to cook the other side until golden. Repeat the process until all the mixture is finished.
Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Serve as desired.
What other ingredients can I add to keto turnip fritters?
• Green pepper
Other Keto Recipes to Try;
Ingredients For low Carb Keto Turnip Fritters
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoon chopped red pepper
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
salt to taste
Watch how to make low carb keto turnips Fritters on video
Method For Low Carb Keto Turnip Fritters
1. Peel fritters using a potato peeler. Grate the peel Turnips using a grater.
2. Squeeze out moisture and set aside. In a bowl break the egg. Add salt, paprika, pepper and rosemary, mix until combined.
3. To the bowl, add turnips, onion, red pepper and spring onion. Mix everything until well combined.
4. Heat butter or oil in a pan. Using a spoon scoop the turnip mixture and add to the pan. Flatten with the back of the spoon.
5. Allow to cook for a few minutes until golden and crispy, flip and cook the other side.
6. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Repeat e until the mixture is finished.
7. Serve as desired.
• Drain excess moisture before adding other ingredients.
• Add your favourite flour, cheese, herbs and spices if needed.